Childhood Asthma Logo
 
Home
 
About us
 
Enquiry: +44(0)485 643 5820
FAX: +44(0)485 643 5820
Useful articles about Asthma
 

Asthma: Figures and Statistics

People would not know how big of a problem asthma is if they do not see a clear picture of what it is all about. In this article, we will give you the facts and the figures that will make you understand the problem with asthma better. We will help you see asthma in a better light so as to see clearly how it affects some of us.

Asthma Population

Asthma is a worldwide concern. That’s because it does not choose sex, race, religion, age, and nationality. Every citizen in the world has certain dangers of getting asthma. Yes, it is sometimes hereditary but discounting the fact that neither of your parents have the disease, you still have a 6% chance of suffering from it.

Asthma that is passed on from the parents to their children is also quite alarming. If one of your parents has the condition, you get 30% chances; if both your parents have asthma, you get 70% chances of having asthma yourself.

In the United States of America, asthma affects 7% of the population. In the United Kingdom, asthma affects 6.5% of the population. Gathering the numbers from every country, there are 300 million people worldwide affected with the condition. Such a number is alarming, especially since the numbers rise by 50% every ten years.

Asthma may occur at any age but it is found more common in children. In some parts of the world including Australia, asthma is the number one reason of hospitalization among the young population, especially young boys. Since it is chronic and can be life-long, asthmatics do not decrease in number.

Asthma-related Deaths

If you think asthma is but a simple medical condition, think again. All over the world, asthma is considered the fourth greatest cause of death. It has been associated to over 4,000 deaths every year in the United States alone. This condition can easily be life-threatening if your signs of asthma gets from bad to worse and from worse to worst. Severe asthma attacks could lead to oxygen shortage in your organs, which could result to death.

It is important for a patient with the condition to get asthma help immediately once the symptoms start occurring. Along with it, children with asthma should also get long-time therapies that could help them manage the symptoms so as to live as normal as possible. There should be an asthma management plan for every patient, young or old. This could help a lot in minimizing the symptoms and the frequency of their occurrence.

Although a serious problem, a lot of people take the condition lightly, thinking that it is all in the mind and that they would be able to outgrow its effects after a while. Well, both impressions are untrue. Asthma is not a psychological condition. It is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways fueled by certain allergens. Children with asthma could grow with their disease. In half of the population of asthma children, signs of asthma have been found to become inactive for a while, during puberty, then resumes occurrence in adulthood. The recurrence may be mild or severe, depending solely on the patient’s case.


Home | About us | Contact us | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2011. childhoodasthma.co.uk. All rights reserved
  Website Created by. www.abhi3d.com. [email protected]